RE: RARA-AVIS: Kersh & miker

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 05 Dec 2002

Richard Moore wrote: Before I go further, I heartily recommend Duncan's brief UK-published NOIR FICTION, DARK HIGHWAYS (Pocket Essentials 2000) as it contains brief but sharp takes on many writers now under discussion on this list including Kersh, John Franklin Bardin, James Ellroy, Nathaniel West as well as Cain, Goodis, Willeford, and a host of others.

********* Thanks for the comments on Kersh. A couple weeks ago I was searching the rara-avis archives for comments on Kersh and came upon a reference to Duncan's NOIR FICTION book. I found a cheap copy online and I'm waiting for it to arrive. There are not a lot of books out there dealing with noir fiction. They almost all pertain to movies. Lee Horsley's NOIR THRILLER is about the only one I can name off the top of my head, and I won't pay $55 for it.

Along with the writers you mention there were a few others that I am unfamiliar with. I'm not familiar with P.J. Wolfson, David Karp, or Shane Stevens.

Back on Kersh, I believe I read somewhere in the archives a comment about Kersh being the first prominent UK noir writer, and that his works probably had an influence on Derek Raymond. Any thoughts on that?

miker