RARA-AVIS: Re: Laura, Gerald and James

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 05 Dec 2002

Miker wrote:

>LAURA has been suggested as an early noir by a female author, but I didn't
>think there was enough sweat and desperation to award it the noir tag.

Uh, that would probably be the film version, not the book version. And I'm sure most of you don't think even the film version qualifies. I'm not sure, myself. Maybe gothic/romantic/cosy noir, of a sort. Certainly not mean streets noir, anyway.

But worth seeing, hard-boiled or not. I always thought McPherson should have been a little more desperate and on edge.

Oh, and speaking of Gerald Kersh, a character in Michael Collins' CADILLAC COWBOY is called Gerald Kirsch. I wonder....

As for James Ellroy, we just rented JAMES ELLROY: DEMON DOG OF AMERICAN CRIME FICTION, a Austrian TV documentary that came out about the time of the publication of WHITE JAZZ. It's like rubbernecking a car wreck - fascinating, but then we feel guilty for looking. This isn't the calm, articulate Ellroy that we saw on that PBS PAGE TO SCREEN thing a few nights ago, this is the tiresome pretentious jerk who we all know and love, playing up the myth of big bad America for the Europeans. He wants us to take him seriously, but he comes off as a Robert Leslie Bellem character.

Hmmm.... Ellroy as the bastard child of Bellem and Jim Thompson, with delusions of Proust. anyone buy that?