Re: RARA-AVIS: A shot at the horses

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 27 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/21/2002 3:03:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, Robison_M@crane.navy.mil writes:

> I thought it was a weak part of the book. The feeling I
> had was that the hardships they endured should have been
> the reason for a pessimistic and cynical view of life.
> Gloria's bitchy attitude was built into her personality,
> and the conditions of her life were just an excuse for
> expressing her nastiness.

I thought so too, but assumed that she was essential to the existential theme of the book - which I took to be that her attitude drug her and those around her down, including the protagonist. His speech at the end about how he now had doubts seemed to confirm this. But yes, if I had been in the narrator's (fictitional) shoes I'd have thrown her ass off the pier early, early into the dance. Steven