Re: RARA-AVIS: GEORGE ORWELL and shooting at Dumbo/Horton

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 27 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/14/2002 6:49:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, Robison_M@crane.navy.mil writes:

> And thanks for your comments on the Orwell
> book. I noticed you read some other essays of his. Did
> you read the ones that he wrote based on his Burma (?)
> experiences, like the one about shooting an elephant? I
> think I read that a long time ago and I'd like to read it
> again.

Miker, I read that one in A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS. Definitely worth your finding and reading again. One thing Orwell does have in common with the hard boiled greats is that he packs a lot of wallop (or is it whallop?) into a punch. He uses few words (and seemingly just the right ones) to express a lot of ideas. The elephant story covers imperialism, growing up, psychological state of the shooter, ditto the watchers, and a host of other items in just a few pages. Steven