Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 22 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/22/02 12:11:09 PM, tieresias@att.net writes:

<< I intended to address the implicit contention that Ellroy's work is so transcendent that it is, in fact, literary, and not, in the strictest sense, "genre" fiction. >>

I don't recall anyone here calling his work either transcendent or literary. In fact, what I said was, love him or hate him, he is one of the most important writers working in the genre. For that reason alone, any serious fans of the genre should at least give him a try.

As for literature, I find Norman Mailer for one, absolutely unreadable. I'll happily take American Tabloid any day of the week.

John Lau