Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Perry on RAYMOND CHANDLER: COLLECTED STORIES

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 19 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/19/2002 11:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com writes:

> Chandler juvenile? Compared with Thompson and Ellroy? Evidently
> gratuitous crudeness and offensiveness are signs of
> maturity.

I stopped midway through my 1930's reading list to re-read Chandler's THE LADY IN THE LAKE. Even though Chandler later is supposed to have said that this one was his only novel that he could never re-read, I still find it poetic and moving. Chandler paints his characters as real people even when they're the bad guys or the "good" guys, or somewhere in-between. To me they're interesting, even when they're minor. Perhaps this is because Marlowe is so observant and Chandler's descriptions so detailed, I'm not sure.

Why would Chandler be "juvenile"? Because Marlowe is basically a good guy, cynical, jaded, but not as flawed or corrupt as an Ellroy character? I would hardly think that makes him juvenile.

Steven Harbin