Re: RARA-AVIS: Perry on RAYMOND CHANDLER: COLLECTED STORIES

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 19 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/18/2002 11:09:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, buff@pobox.com writes:
> On 19 November 2002, Mark Hall wrote:> > : Raymond Chandler: Collected Stories by Raymond Chandler Fiction Everyman's> : Library, $27.50> > Does anyone have a table of contents for this? Does it > include the> cannibalized stories from KILLER IN THE RAIN?

At one time I thought Amazon had the table of contents on this listed, but when I went to look it up I discovered that wasn't the case. A review on Barnes and Novble does mention the following:
<<<<<< "This definitive omnibus of Chandler's short fiction, prefaced by John Bayley's suavely general, very English introduction, makes previous collections look downright niggardly. In addition to the eight stories of Killer in the Rain (1964), which Chandler "cannibalized" (his term) for The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely, and The Lady in the Lake, and the 13 non-cannibalized stories in the Library of America Stories and Early Novels (1995), it includes "The Pencil"-Chandler's last story, and practically the only one that stars Philip Marlowe and not some earlier version of the peerless shamus like Mallory, Ted Carmady, or John Dalmas-and three never-before-reprinted tales. It's easy to see why "The Bronze Door" (1939), "Professor Bingo's Snuff" (1951), and "English Summer" (1974) have sunk into obscurity, since all three are atypical-the first a supernaturally-tinged fable of alternative lives, the second an equally paranormal account of a cuckold who tak! es advantage of an invisibility potion to take control, the third a romantic idyll that ends in murder-though all are full of characteristically male dreamers and female schemers. Fans inadvisedly imbibing the rest of the collection nonstop will see Chandler's rapid evolution from the violent fumblings of "Blackmailers Don't Shoot" to the pulp formula mastery of "Goldfish" to the matchless urban poetry of "Red Wind" and "I'll Be Waiting." Chandler thought of himself as a novelist who also wrote short fiction, and this collection won't change that verdict. But having all 25 of the world's greatest pulp writer's checkered, indispensable stories available in a single volume is a pleasure long overdue." <<<<<<<

So apparenlty the volume does contain the cannabalized stories. I'm planning on getting it for "The Bronze Door" which I've been searching for for a long time. Just to see what kind of story RC got published in UNKNOWN. Steve Harbin