RARA-AVIS: Re: Perry on RAYMOND CHANDLER: COLLECTED STORIES

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2002

>Chandler's story sense is rather juvenile -- especially compared with later
>mystery writers like Jim Thompson and James Ellroy -- but this rarely
>matters.

Chandler juvenile? Compared with Thompson and Ellroy? Evidently gratuitous crudeness and offensiveness are signs of maturity.

"The lobby was laviciously large, with a carpet as blue as a Hollywood faggot's face when you squeeze his neck real hard. There were used rubbers under it. It was soft. I lay down. I masturbated on it. (Oh, did I mention my mother was murdered?)"