RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #595

From: Christopher Mills ( christopher_mills@hotmail.com)
Date: 16 Nov 2002

I haven't posted to this list before, or if I have, it's been so long I can't remember, but the recent topic of hard-boiled crime comics happens to be something I'm pretty knowledgeable about.

It is tough to find crime comic compilations/graphic novels at mainstream chain bookstores. Your best bet is a comics specialty shop, or ordering online from Amazon. Of what's currently available, I highly recommend the two WHITEOUT graphic novels by Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber, any of the 100 BULLETS compilations by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso (although I'd start with the first one, "First Shot, Last Call."), SCENE OF THE CRIME by Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark, and MURDER ME DEAD by David Lapham.

I personally write two online comics that can be considered hardboiled. FEMME NOIR, about a female private eye, is drawn by Joe Staton, and can be read for free at www.supernaturalcrime.com. There are about 40 pages currently archived at the site. GRAVEDIGGER is a Richard Stark-inspired series about a professional thief, is drawn by Rick Burchett, and can be read for free every Tuesday at www.adventurestrips.com. The previous episodes can only be read with a $2.95 subscription, but that sub also buys access to all the installments of 13 other weekly action-adventure comics.

Chris Mills

_________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail