Re: RARA-AVIS: Writers' writings on writing

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 11 Nov 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bludis Jack" < buildsnburns@yahoo.com>

> You can't go wrong with Stephen King's book on
> the subject.
>
> But I agree that Block's books are good, as are
> Dean Koontz's if you can find them.
>
> And there is one classic how to writer who stands
> out--an old writer I found in the dusty back
> shelves of the Enoch Pratt Library in Baltimore
> about thirty years ago when I first started to
> write.
>
> These books by Jack Woodford, the last of which I
> think was written in 1937, but I think still have
> value today. They are available in new editions
> that I think you can track down by going through
> Amazon.

Thanks, Jack. I did a search on Jack Woodford on abebooks.com and found that he's the author of lots of vintage sleaze. MALE VIRGIN, HONEY, MIRAGE OF MARRIAGE, CRAVINGS, ILLEGITIMATE, THE ABORTIVE HUSSY, etc. Following in the footsteps of Larry Block and Don Westlake. Can't be bad. All his writing books seem to be out of print, sadly, according to amazon. Apart from (possibly, it's hard to tell), the brilliantly titled HOW TO MAKE YOUR FRIENDS AND MURDER YOUR ENEMIES.

Al