RARA-AVIS: It's all about MEEEEE!

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 09 Nov 2002

>Also recommended is THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A SUPER-TRAMP (1917) by William H.
>Davies. Davies tramped across North America before he lost a foot trying to
>jump a passenger train in Canada near a town called Renfrew. He returned to
>his native England where through his self-printed poetry he came to the
>attention of George Bernard Shaw. Shaw helped Davies find a publisher for
>his autobiography. It sold very well and Davies enjoyed a long career as a
>poet. The book includes a chilling recount of a Memphis lynching--all the
>more chilling because of Davies' own racist observations.

That's where Supertramp (the vaguely prog-rock group) got its name. And one of their songwriters was called , uh, Roy Davies, was it? But their music's not very hard-boiled. I know because I heard plenty of their music -- the group was obscenely (and inexplicably) popular in Montreal back in the seventies.

And Doug wrote:

>Crippen & Landru (in Association with Black Mask Press) is indeed
>publishing Raoul Whitfield's JO GAR'S CASEBOOK this month, but Paul Cain's
>FOURTEEN SLAYERS hasn't yet been scheduled. We don't have all the material
>yet.

Really? Gee, it seems I wrote my intro to one of the stories years ago, and I had assumed at the time it was almost ready to go. Are there still stories being hunted down? A mention here or on my site might help you run some down. in the meantime, I'm looking forward to finally reading more Jo Gar stories.

By the way, since I'm plugging myself, I should mention that the new
"issue" of THE THRILLING DETECTIVE WEB SITE
(http://www.thrillingdetective.com) is up, and you're all welcome to come on over and cast your votes for The Fourth Annual Cheap Thrills Awards.

Thanks to the hard work of two-fisted fiction editor Gerald So, we have some great new fiction this time around. We've got new stories by C.J. Henderson, Dave White (an honest-to-God P.I. tale that uses the incidents of 9/11 not as a cheap thrill, but as a jumping board to what I feel is not just a damn good story, but perhaps even an important one) and Dave Zeltserman.

We're also officially kicking off our Non-Fiction Section, which has a few good pieces by that Mario guy that we all know and love. This section is where we'll be running essays, think-pieces, reviews, interviews and whatever else is of interest to P.I. fans. I've wanted to include longer pieces for a while now, and so I'm pretty excited about it.

In fact, if any of you are interested in kicking in, drop me a line. Or go check out the submission guidelines. For FICTION go to http://www.thrillingdetective.com/fiction/guidelines.html NON-FICTION go to http://www.thrillingdetective.com/non_fiction/guidelines.html

We've got all the regular crap, too: the alphabetical listings of private eyes and other tough guys and gals in literature, film, television, radio and other media, plus news, views, links, lists and more useless trivia than you could shake a stick at, and over on the web comic front our regulars, Tim Broderick's ODD JOBS and Chris Mills and Joe Staton's FEMME NOIR are still going strong.

Yep, all in all, it's a pretty good issue, I think. Or at least better than close-up photos of nostril hair. Please consider making THE THRILLING DETECTIVE WEB SITE your favourite cyber waste of time. Hurry up! Rara-Avians get in free!

Oh, and since I'm BSPing like a gas leak here, GRUNT AND GROAN: THE NEW FICTION ANTHOLOGY OF WORK AND SEX is now out, with my story,
"People Skills" in it. The story's a lot of things (including definitely not politically correct), but it's also a crime story.