Re: RARA-AVIS: Bradbury and Leigh Brackett

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 18 Oct 2002

In a message dated 10/15/2002 1:57:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, dgreene@odu.edu writes:

> The best collection of Bradbury from the pulp mystery mags is A Memory of
> Murder, New York: Dell, 1984. It contains stories
> originally published
> 1944-1948.

This mention reminds me that the late Leigh Brackett mentored Bradbury a lot during this period. If anyone on the list hasn't checked out her collection of hard boiled stories from the 40's then I would strongly suggest that you do so. NO GOOD FROM A CORPSE. Apparently film director Howard Hawks was so impressed upon reading it after it came out in 1944 that he hired Brackett to help write the screenplay of THE BIG SLEEP. When we get to the 40's on our monthly trips through the decades I'd definitely like to see other members thoughts on Brackett's work, both in the movies on the pulps. Steven Harbin