RARA-AVIS: Anne Wingate, Mississippi

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2002

I started what must have been among Wingate's earliest Deb Ralston books because I'm pretty sure she didn't have a husband or children. I thought the police work was described well (although how would I know, having been only on the receiving end), and the writing was OK, if a bit bland, but I threw it across the room without finishing it. The protagonist was portraying herself as a feminist IIRC, and, without skipping a beat, an anti-abortion diatribe followed. These two views are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but the author seemed unaware of the need to make me the reader find the combination credible. I wondered then if the ambiguously named Lee Martin was male or female.
    I plan to get one of the books written by the Mississippi State Police commissioner, Jim. The premise you described sounds interesting. (Anyone else spend more on books than on food?) I had been sniffing superciliously about Mississippi, of all places, etc., but had to return to reality. Our local newspaper reminded me this morning that whichever way Pennsylvania's gubernatorial election goes in November, we'll have our highest ranking state elected official ever, because both lieutenant governor candidates are female. Pitiful. (The Republican female state treasurer who was muscled out of running for governor by "the back room boys" today endorsed the Democratic candidate, prompting shock and hysteria and front-page stories.)

Joy, who thinks we should award Jim an honorary degree of some sort for all this research and analysis JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> described: