Re: RARA-AVIS: What about Dorothy Hughes ?

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2002

Mark, about Hughes's IN A LONELY PLACE:
> By the way, that's the only Hughes I've read and I was going to
> recommend it. It's also a good example of a woman writing convincing
> men, as is Leigh Brackett. However, convincing '40s men are not the
> same as convincing contemporary men, as books now include far more
> development of character, gender, personality traits and interests that
> do not bear directly on the plot. However, this is not meant to imply
> that Hughes's men lack depth.

************** Thanks for the recommendation. I had heard comments on SO BLUE MARBLE and the pink horse one, but there are a bunch of them listed in the Hardboiled America list.

 I haven't read any women authors in a long time. I think that as we go thru the first few decades of hardboiled/noir, I'd like to become aware of some of the women authors. There aren't any in the pre-1940 era, are there?

miker