RE: RARA-AVIS: You gotta love it.

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 26 Aug 2002

Bill Crider had this pointed out to him:
"Digital/Oral Consciousness" in Chandler's fiction. [The writer] counted the number of times "thumb" turned up in Chandler, as well as finger, hand, mouth, and a couple of other related images, and wrote on the subject which "no critic has yet seriously treated." I doubt that it's been treated at all.<<<<

*********** That's a good one, Bill. It's so far over the top that it's clearly absurd. Hemingway said that you can't write well without a built-in bullshit detector. My problem is that I'm not sure about the quality of my detector. I recently read an essay on Cain's THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, by Patrick Shaw in his book THE MODERN AMERICAN NOVEL OF VIOLENCE. He emphasizes the significance of the automobile/truck in Cain's book, and how it plays a key role in many of the significant parts of the novel, and then, of course, goes on to philosophize upon its meaning. I don't deny that there are cars in the novel, but I could not develop a warm feeling for Shaw's insistence upon the symbolic nature of them. Nevertheless, I find it slightly intimidating to question the views of a guy who has a PhD in literature.

miker