RE: RARA-AVIS: Pre-1930 Novels ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 20 Aug 2002

Al said: In HARDBOILED AMERICA Geoffrey O'Brien lists these for 1929:

Hammett: Red Harvest, The Dain Curse WR Burnett: Little Caesar Carroll John Daly: The Hidden Hand S S Van Dine: The Bishop Murder Case Ellery Queen: The Roman Hat Mystery

You'll find the entire list close to home at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/biblio/checklist.html

************ Thanks, Al. I've got HARDBOILED AMERICA, and have read a little of it (mostly thumbing thru and looking at pictures) but I didn't know about the list in the appendix or the copy of it on the rara-avis page. Its exactly what I was looking for. I've noticed in O'Brien's book, like mentioned at the top of the list, that he doesn't strictly stick with hardboiled but also pulls in fringe titles, like those by Eric Ambler, Somerset Maugham, and Queen.

I know you can't expect a list to be all-inclusive, but I'm surprised that, given the very few novels listed for the 1920's, Daly's SNARL OF THE BEAST didn't make it.

miker