RARA-AVIS: Pre-1930 Novels ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 19 Aug 2002

MrT said: There's Raoul Whitfield's _Green Ice_, the first noir novel, from 1930. Burnett's _Little Caesar_ is another title worth discussing. And Daly wrote the abominable _The Hidden Hand_ in 1928, I think. John Dos Passos's _The 42nd Parallel_ is from 1930. Did James T. Farrell publish any novels in the twenties? At some point, we are going to have to deal with Farrell.

************* Thanks, Mario. I got Whitfield's GREEN ICE on the way.

The earliest date that I can find for Burnett's LITTLE CAESAR is 1929, so he's definitely in the somewhat rare pre-1930 category. I found it for cheap, too, at Abe- books.

The earliest date I can find for a Studs Lonigan book is 1932, but Farrell's THE GIRL EVERYBODY KNEW comes in at 1928. Is this hardboiled? Not much chance of me reading it anyway... cheapest I can find it is $75 at Abebooks. Too salty for me.

So my pre-1930 hardboiled/noir novelist list now has Hammett, Daly, and Burnett on it.

miker