RE: RARA-AVIS: Raymond, Leonard, and Crews

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 16 Aug 2002

Ed and Brad said: IMO, A FEAST OF SNAKES was Harry Crews' best novel. Of his 18 or so novels (all of which I've read), my favorites are BODY, NAKED IN GARDEN HILLS, and THE GOSPEL SINGER. All are violent, funny, outlandish, and dark. I'd add CAR to that list.

************ Thanks, guys. I wrote them down. I definitely want to read more of him. I've been reading MURDER OFF THE RACK, which is a collection of essays about ten of hardboiled authors. Well, actually I've just read the ones about Thompson and Rabe, but both essays make the point that the authors wrote very good and very bad stuff. Although I'm not sure if Harry Crews is the same way, its still nice to get some good solid recommendation.. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, life is too short to read bad books.

miker