RE: RARA-AVIS: Caldwell

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Aug 2002

Good as several of his novels are, especially the two classic ones mentioned in the original query, I prefer Caldwell's short stories. As I've said before, they are collected in a fat volume from University of Georgia Press. If you like tough Southern stories, this collection is a wise investment.

And if you think _Tobacco Road_ is nasty, try Caldwell's 1973 _Annette_. His book _Deep South_ is remarkable in its frankness (also in its aggressiveness, as is typical of Caldwell).

They call them white trash but they are just white and poor, they are not trash. Caldwell had sympathy for those people, but he wasn't about to idealize them either -- hence the nastiness and brutality of many of his stories.

Regards,

mrt

=====
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." Mark Twain