Re: RARA-AVIS: The Only Gold Medals In My House

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 07 Aug 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: < Mrriter@aol.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 10:10 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: The Only Gold Medals In My House

> I looked over my shelves and found these five GMs:
>
> Death for Mr. Big, John Gonzales 204
> Assignment - Carlotta Cortez, Edward S. Aarons 834
> Nothing In Her Way, Charles Williams k1289
> The Quick Red Fox, John D. MacDonald d1610
> Pure Sweet Hell, Malcolm Douglas 972
>
> I've read only the Williams book, which, as I recall, is a complicated
> pay-back caper featuring "the most fascinating confidence woman in modern
> suspense fiction." I remember that it held my attention while I read it
but
> now I can't dig up any details.
>
> The only other comment about these books that I have is that the women on
the
> covers of The Quick Red Fox and Pure Sweet Hell have a lot in common--a
> healthy dose of cleavage, tight capri pants (I think that's what they were
> called), high heels, and they both are sitting spread-eagled in a very
> unladylike pose.
>
> Anybody have something more meaningful to say about these, or maybe a
> recommendation about which one(s) I really should read this month?
>
> Manuel Ramos
> MOONY'S ROAD TO HELL, September, 2002
> www.manuelramos.com

Manuel -- I've read only the Aarons, which I remember as being a good Sam Durell book (but most of the Durells are good), and the JDM, which I also liked. I prefer the earlier, shorter McGee novels, like this one, to the later, longer ones. John Gonzales was a pseudonym for Robert Terrall, one of the authors who ghosted Mike Shayne novels as Brett Halliday, as mentioned earlier today. I haven't read any of the books he wrote as Gonzales, but I've read all of his Mike Shaynes and some of the Ben Gates books he wrote as Robert Kyle, and I found them all to be readable, relatively entertaining PI novels, but no more than that.

Best, James