Re: RARA-AVIS: RARA-AVIS UK month

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 04 Aug 2002

> John wrote:
>
> > as the
> > crime consultant at Serpent's Tail I've been very proud to have had a
> hand
> > in publishing David Peace, Nicholas Blincoe, the very funny Mark
> Ramsden,
> > the very funny Danny King, the very singular Ken Bruen and,
> imminently, the
> > very dark Sean Burke, not to mention , for one book, Russell James
> himself.

Rene asked

Can you tell us exactly what you mean when you
> say "consultant" - does it mean that you choose all or some of the
> authors or that you just recommend authors or what?

Since 1995 I've chosen all the authors. Some I've worked with intensively, other less so.

> One author I have been meaning to check out is John Dale,

John Dale's Dark Angel was the very first title I was involved with, and a really good book I think - genuine Sydney noir. His second The Dogs Are Barking is okay, but Dark Angel is the one to go for. The other Australian title I've been involved with is Caroline Shaw's Cat Catcher, possibly the only hb cat novel I've ever come across.

John