RARA-AVIS: Assignment: Edward S. Aarons

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Aug 2002

I decided to commemorate Gold Medal Month (we are a recognized minority, aren't we?) by reading some more Aarons. For a first assignment, I chose Assignment-Burma Girl.

GM number: K1423 Published: 1961 Price: 40 cents

Cover: A babe with something exotic draped around her lower half and showing her bare back (significantly dimpled) while she arranges her hair. She is kneeling.

Front blurb: Two Americans vanish mysteriously in the cold-war jungle of Southeast Asia, and the call goes out for Sam Durell. A suspenseful novel of counter-intelligence by Edward S. Aarons.

Back blurb: The First man had been given up for dead long ago and in another country.... They sent the Second Man to find him.... That's when the Third man came into the picture. His name was Sam Durell, and he was a tougher cookie than the other two. An ex-whore with 300 million dollars's worth of influence sent him up the Irrawaddy and into the boondocks to bring them back -- whole or in pieces.

Review to follow if I finish it and it's good, or at least half-good. Aarons writes straight sentences with good action verbs.

Best regards,

MrT

=====
"The skill of man is unequal to the formation of a new man from old materials, but the battered tenement may, with care, be long sustained by props" -- From Becklard's Physiology.