Re: RARA-AVIS: Foreign HB novels

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 29 Jul 2002

Mark Sullivan wrote:

And for the most part, foreign movies, even ones in English are nothing

> more than a niche market in the US, just playing in art houses.

Yeah, until they are remade in cleaned up, white-washed big budgeters like THE VANISHING, INSOMNIA and VANILLA SKY.

Despite the cost of translation, I'm there are a lot of great books out there that enterprising U.S. publishers could buy for a fraction of what they have to pay U.S. authors. With the right packaging (and keeping the fact that it's a translation of a "foreign" book in the small print), I'm sure there would be profits to be made. Of course, this is starting to sound too much like work, isn't it?

I think Arturo Perez-Reverte might be a good example of someone who hasn't suffered in the U.S. market just because he doesn't write in English. It would be nice if we could see a lot more of that, but the way things are going in publishing I suppose that's a fantasy.

Etienne, I'd still like to see a list of great contemporary French HB authors. Even if I can't read their works.

TL