Re: RARA-AVIS: First Joe Gores novel

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jul 2002

Ed,

Re your comment below:

> Just finished my first Joe Gore novel, Dead Man
> (1993), an PI book with an interesting twist.

Interesting that you entitled this thread "First Joe Gore(s) novel," and then mentioned the first one you actually read.

Having enjoyed DEAD MAN (which I agree is a hell of a read), you might also enjoy the first novel Gores wrote (or at least had published), A TIME OF PREDATORS, for which he won the Edgar in the First Novel category. DEAD MAN recycles many of the plot devices and themes from PREDATORS. Both deal with protagonists who, wanting to avenge the death of a loved one (an estranged wife in PREDATORS, a wife and child in DEAD MAN), make themselves over into fighting machines. In DEAD MAN, of course, the hero is, at least nominally, a professional, but in PREDATORS the hero is a Stanford University professor (though with military combat experience) who has to rebuild himself practically from scratch.

JIM DOHERTY