Re: RARA-AVIS: movie music and novelizations

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jul 2002

Mark,

Re your question below:

> All of this movie talk made me think about
> novelizations. We often talk
> about books converted into movies, but are there any
> movies converted
> into books that are worth reading?

I assume that any movie script that wasn't actually produced, which the writer later novelized (such as Chandler's PLAYBACK or McBain's ANOTHER PART OF THE CITY) doesn't count.

If movie scripts which are unproduced, then novelised, and then produced AFTER the publication of the novel may be included, I'd try Fleming's THUNDERBALL or McMurtry's LONESOME DOVE (not a mystery, but certainly hard-boiled).

Of novelizations that appear in the expected manner, I'd recommend DICK TRACY (unless you're not a Tracy fan), IN THE LINE OF FIRE, U.S. MARSHALS (better than the movie), and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (again, not a mystery, but certainly hard-boiled), all by Max Allan Collins. Al does a lot of novelizations, as well as original novels based on characters from TV shows
(BLUE BEGINNINGS, for example, is a "prequel" to the first episode of N.Y.P.D. BLUE).

His most recent is kind of unusual. ROAD TO PERDITION is based on the script for the movie based on the original comic book script which Al wrote, so he's writing a novelization based on a movie based on his own original source material. Haven't read the novelization yet, but the graphic novel and the movie are both great.

If this thread continues, I may have more suggestions.

JIM DOHERTY