Re: RARA-AVIS: cases by gores & 32 Caddies

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 15 Jul 2002

Ed,

I thought 32 Caddilacs was great. I very much liked the shifting between characters and Ken Warren cracked me up, how everyone underestimated him due to his speech impediment. As a matter of fact, I was just thinking about this while driving home today. I'm currently reading the next in the series, Cons, Scams & Grifts, which has a somewhat similar format, even brings back the gypsies from the previous entry in the series. Gores builds an overarcing plot that runs through the book, but takes little sidetrips along the way. And I really enjoy these small episodes as each of the repo men go about their individual cases, finding and retrieving particular cars. I think these very specific and detailed shorts ground the story and allow Gores to go a bit (gloriously) over the top in other portions of the book.

That said, 32 Caddilacs was a major shift in the DKA Files series. The previous books are very much private eye procedurals throughout (with multiple, but fewer POVs). They do not have the over the top humor of the two more recent books. I think it's telling that the crossover in one of the early books was with Richard Stark's cold, humorless Parker
(not to say the Parker books are entirely humorless, just the character). The crossover in 32 Caddilacs was with Donald Westlake's bumbling Dortmunder Gang.

By the way, the new book makes brief mention of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch.

Mark