Re: RARA-AVIS: UKHB, was Crime Scene 2002

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 02 Jul 2002

Colin wrote:

> Is HB so rooted in US culture that it looses something in translation?
Personally I don't think so, but others may wish to differ.

Like I said, I haven't read a huge amount of UK noir but GET CARTER, both movie & novel, are ample proof that hardboiled does not have to be an American idiom. I believe that hardboiled (& noir) can be done anywhere, & set anywhere, in the modern world & done successfully also. It would undoubtedly have a different flavour to American hb but if a writer is good enough & has a feel for the subject matter and the genre then he or she will write good hardboiled fiction, in any language set anywhere. Whether it would translate well into English from another language would be a different matter, no doubt.

Rene