RARA-AVIS: Kenneth Abel

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 17 Jun 2002

What's the general impression regarding Abel among readers here? I seem to remember he was mentioned recently on the list.

I read Kenneth Abel's new book, _The Burying Field_ over the weekend and it was quite easily one of the best books I've read this year. I'd never read this author before, but am I glad I discovered his work--I've already ordered copies of a couple of his other books.

This is a great book, with believable characters and careful attention to settings. Danny Chaisson is a sympathetic character, trying to make up for what he did while serving as the bagman for a corrupt Louisiana politician, and his new wife, Mickie Vega, a Hispanic ATF agent who is a bit perturbed by the changes her pregnancy has forced upon her, is also quite memorable. Danny has a black friend named Jabril who is a former drug dealer and who comes along to help Danny as he investigates what may have been a hate crime revolving around a forgotten (by all but the local African Americans) slave burying field.

Excellent characterizations, excellent dialogue--this book receives my strongest recommendation. It was everything I was hoping for from the latest James Lee Burke but didn't get.

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO