Re: RARA-AVIS: Influences: Nathanael West

From: Peedie Monk ( peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 12 Jun 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rene Ribic" < rribic@optusnet.com.au>
>IIRC, Paul Duncan also includes the West novels in
> his survey of noir fiction.

Paul Duncan's "Noir Fiction" is a terrific little book. Your memory is spot on, Rene. The "Depression" section has these four headings. PJ Wolfson: Jazz and tears and death Nathaneal West: What is the whole stinkin business for? James M Cain: She knew what to do Horace McCoy: I'm tired of living and I'm afraid of dying Paul Duncan seems to consider Nathanael West so self-evidently noir that he doesn't make any attempt to justify his inclusion. Never having read any West, I can't comment. But I like the sound of "Miss Lonelyhearts". Would this be a good place to start?

Al Guthrie