Re: RARA-AVIS: Carl Hiassen

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 May 2002

--- Brian Thornton < tieresias@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I haven't seen The Miami Herald's *other* resident
> funny guy (after Dave
> Barry) mentioned here. Any read any of his mystery
> stuff? "Lucky You" is
> good, and man oh man, if you haven't laughed
> yourself silly over the

"hitman-with-a-skin-condition-trading-acts-of-violence-for-piecemeal-dermabr

> asion-by-a-desperate-and-shady-plastic-surgeon"
> subplot in "Skin Tight",
> you owe it to yourself. I re-read that book once
> per year, twice if I get
> unduly depressed. Talk about black comedy.

IMO Hiassen starting going downhill around STRIP TEASE or STORMY WEATHER, becoming rather shrill and didatic.
(I tend to agree with his pov, but that's neither here nor there.) I did like SKIN TIGHT and most especially NATIVE TONGUE, which is some kind of comedy classic.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com