RARA-AVIS: steve hamilton

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 17 May 2002

>Winter of the Wolf Moon by Steve Hamilton -- I really liked the first.
>Mark

I loved Hamilton's first but thought "Winter" was a disappointment. I didn't feel like he had much of anywhere to go with the main character after the first book but was trying to stretch it into a series anyway. The sheriff, who is an interestingly ambiguous character in the first book turns into more of the stereotypical stupid local law enforcement officer, and there are a lot of "comic" asides and subplots that didn't work very well for me. There are some good descriptive passages and action scenes, but not much of a story. However, I have to admit I seem to be in the minority on this one as the book was generally very well-received and reviewed. So perhaps I missed something or perhaps I was just expecting something more like "Cold Day in paradise" and didn't get it. I do have the third book and am going to give it a shot -

carrie