RARA-AVIS: Spade on Radio

From: dlochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 17 May 2002

JIM DOHERTY wrote:

Dick,

Re your comment below:

> To give
> you an idea of the power of old time radio, the book
> [THE DAIN CURSE] was adapted for an
> episode of The Sam Spade Show, over and done in half
> an hour, with Spade
> standing in for The Op.

What was the title of that episode? I know there's a half-hour episode called "The Poisonville Caper," which I presume is adapted from RED HARVEST, and there was two-parter called "The Blood Money Caper" which, of course, derived from the first Op novel, BLOOD MONEY. Also, many of the Op short stories were adapted for the SPADE series, but usually with the original titles either wholly intact (e.g. "Zigzags of Treachery") or easily recognizable (e.g. "The Corkscrew Caper"). What did they call THE DAIN CURSE when they adapted it for radio?

Jim, the title of the episode is "The Crooked Author Caper."

As far as I've been able to tell, none of the titles you mentioned has survived. I'd love to hear that they're available.

Dick Lochte