Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway, Hammett, Chandler and Parker

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 May 2002

--- Brian Thornton < tieresias@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Also, while Chandler is cited over and over again as
> a leading influence in
> Parker's work, I think that Hammett's influence gets
> overlooked.

I think this probably happens because of what Parker himself says of his work. I can't quote him precisely, but he's basically said that his first couple of Spenser novels were Chandler imitations. When he got stuck wondering what to do next, he'd ask himself what Marlowe would do, and have Spenser do that. As far as I know, he's never cited Hammett as an influence, although his Ph.D. Dissertation was on
"The Big Three," so he certainly knew Hammett's work. The only other writer he ever cited as influential that I know of is J.F. Cooper, and even there I don't think he was talking about his own work so much as the genre in general.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/