RARA-AVIS: Hemingway, Hammett, Chandler and Parker

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 15 May 2002

Hemingway said that all modern American literature sprang from Mark Twain. As for Hemingway's being more influential on the hard-boiled writers of the 30s than someone like Hammett, I think it's possible that you are correct in your assertion, but it is possible to stretch this comparison too far.

Take Chandler, for example. Although he was clearly influenced by Hammett, Philip Marlowe seems to have an awful lot of Jake Barnes in him as well. With Hammett there is a cynicism (especially in things featuring the Continental Op, like Red Harvest, and The Dain Curse), but I don't see the same level of world-weary angst (with the possible exception of Sam Spade at the end of The Maltese Falcon) in Hammett's heroes as I do in Chandler's stuff. They seem far more accepting of the world in which they operate.

Also, while Chandler is cited over and over again as a leading influence in Parker's work, I think that Hammett's influence gets overlooked. After all, The Thin Man is a real howler, with repartee, dialogue that sparkles after nearly three quarters of a century, and Nick and Nora Charles serving as a sort of blueprint for Spenser's relationship with his Nora, Susan Silverman.

Just my two cents.

Brian Thornton