RARA-AVIS: RE: Arthur Lyons

From: dlochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 07 May 2002

Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:44:21 -0700 (PDT) From: Mario Taboada < matrxtech@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Arthur Lyons

<<I've had a query about Arthur Lyons, author of the Jacob Asch mystery series. He doesn't seem to have published any novels since 1994. Anybody here know anything?>>

He has a relatively recent nonfiction book about B movies. I read a very favorable review of it, though I haven't seen the book itself. Lyons is an excellent writer.

Best,

MrT

Art's one of the greats. His Jacob Asche series is right up there with the late Macdonald and early Parker books. Why he stopped writing fiction is a puzzle. Probably because of his involvement in Palm Springs politics and special events there. He was one of the people behind the Palm Springs Writers Conference. Not long ago, I heard that he was working on a film festival and that Spillane was (or perhaps is) to be the special guest.

A couple of years ago, Da Capo Press published his "Death on the Cheap," a survey of Film Noir B Movies. Thought it might be a sign he was getting back to the keys, but guess not.

Dick Lochte