RARA-AVIS: Arthur Lyons

From: Stephen Miller ( readingbear@earthlink.net)
Date: 07 May 2002

In asking about one of my favorite writers, the ClueLass said:

> Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 15:25:57 -0700
> From: Kate Derie < katederie@mac.com>
> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Arthur Lyons
>
> I've had a query about Arthur Lyons, author of the Jacob Asch mystery
> series. He doesn't seem to have published any novels since 1994. Anybody
> here know anything?

Kate, I posed an identical question to this list roughly a year or so ago. Bob Randisi saw it, and responded that not only had Lyons stopped publishing the Asch books, but he also suddenly resigned his PWA membership.

I think Lyons is one of the great underrated PI writers of the last twenty-five years. I never understood why Parker became so successful and Lyons remained obscure. Lyons is three times the craftsman Parker is, even in his early years.

I had heard (wish I could remember where) that Lyons was a successful restaurant owner in Los Angeles. Maybe that's where he devotes his energies now. I hope he's doing well.

Steve Miller (who has collected the No Exit