RARA-AVIS: the jack bludis heresy

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 28 Apr 2002

jack says:
> Harboiled = Tough
>
> Noir = Screwed
>
> Very few will agree, but I love the discussion.

i'm leaning this way on the hardboiled, jack. i've got a couple problems with the "colloquial" thing. although most people's attitude is expressed thru talk, there are some who decidedly don't fit the bill. i have a hard time seeing people like dudley smith (as mario pointed out), arkady renko, or even doc mccoy, as being colloquial, but i see all of them as being hb. they are a minority group of people who adhere to teddy roosevelt's,
"speak softly but carry a big stick" philosophy.

for now, i think my bottom line is that for hardboiled, tough is good enough. i'm going to judge em by the way they act, not by how they talk. so i'm not going to require hardboiled characters to talk the talk, just walk the walk.

miker