RARA-AVIS: Angie not hardboiled?

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 23 Apr 2002

my problem with the argument that Angie Gennaro is not hardboiled because she's victimized is that
(spoiler space for A Drink Before the War)

s p o i l e r

before the end of the first book she takes matters into her own hands and lets Phil know in no uncertain terms that she's not putting up with his crap anymore. The thing that turned me off Angie at the beginning of the book
(and probably would have kept me from finishing it if it hadn't been a
"reading group" selection) was that I saw the character as a manifestation of Patrick/Lehane's rescue fantasy and assumed that he was going to end up saving her from the bad husband. But Lehane subverted that by having Angie come to her own rescue, and announce that she wasn't going to be a victim anymore. and from that point on, she pretty consistently sticks to that. so accepting Jim's definitions of a hard-boiled character, I'd say that Angie becomes and remains one after that point in the first book.

Carrie