Re: RARA-AVIS: Trucking Novels

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 22 Apr 2002

THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT by James Curtis, a UK author. The book is mostly set in a milieu made up of hookers who travel the inter-city highways of England servicing lorry (truck) drivers. It was written in the 1930's so it's more of historic, etc, interest re: trucking but it's a good book & a worthwhile read on it's own merits. What your chances are of finding a copy I don't know, fairly slim I would think but if you do see it (my copy is a battered UK paperback from the 1960's or 1970's - Mayflower, I think) grab it.(James Curtis is briefly discussed in THE POCKET ESSENTIAL NOIR FICTION by Paul Duncan, a current or ex- list member).

Rene