Re: RARA-AVIS: jim and hem

From: George Upper (
Date: 11 Apr 2002

> The G.S.S.E.W.--Flannery O'Connor's "A Good
> Man is Hard to
> Find."

I am way behind in this list, and I'm sorry for recent silence (both on this list and off). I returned from my Florida trip to find a massive tech melt-down at home which apparently even affected Yahoo somehow--we still don't have it all sorted out yet, except that it doesn't appear to be malicious (i.e., a virus or anything like that). Anyway, my email now works again, obviously, but I have 1100 messages in my inbox that I have to go through. So bear with me if I reply to several ancient messages over the next few days. I'll also post what little I learned from my JDM investigations sometime soon.

As to the greatest short story ever written, I'm tempted to throw in with "Short Happy Life...", but on second thought I think I'll vote for any Spenser novel published after A CATSKILL EAGLE...let's say STARDUST for lack of a better name coming to mind. Frankly, anyone who can publish a short story's amount of plotting and character development in novel form and come out with a best seller is doing something right.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal