Re: RARA-AVIS: Igpay Atinlay

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 11 Apr 2002

In a message dated 4/11/02 5:18:20 AM, MatCoward@aol.com writes:

<< Am I alone in this interpretation?
- Atmay Owardcay >>

    I think it depends on the period in which your story is set. My mother, who is the world's foremost authority (or at least our family authority) on pig latin, says that during the 1920's, 30's, and 40's in the US, pig latin was used by young adults for the laughs it could produce and to hide meaning from children. However, during each period, the kids would "catch on" eventually, and new generations would take up the game.
    From the 50's to the 90's, my mom insists that igpay atinlay became virtually extinct, but her breast swells with pride at the way her teenage great-grand-daughter's tribe has revived the silliness. Today it is being utilized once again, this time for girl talk in the presence of boys, in junior high schools around the American midwest. Is this a great country or what?

                                    Jim Blue