Re: RARA-AVIS: marlowe's character

From: Ray Skirsky ( rskirsky@qualcomm.com)
Date: 09 Apr 2002

At 12:53 AM 4/7/2002 +1000, Rene Ribic wrote:

>I seem to recall someone on this list talking about someone saying that
>Hemingway's THE OLD MAN & THE SEA was "obviously" about a pederastic
>relationship - if you "read between the lines". To which I can only say,
>once again, "huh?". Or, as Dr Freud (allegedly) said, "sometimes a cigar
>is just a cigar".

Years ago the Miami Herald ran a literary contest where you had to write a piece in the style of famous writers. One of the honorable mentions was a hysterically funny short story entitled, "The Old Man and the Shoes" which began--I'm quoting from memory here:

"The old man loved the boy. And the boy loved the old man. But then came the police, and the social workers, and finally the court order, and the old man saw the boy no more...."

Ray