RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #200

From: WoodyHaut@aol.com
Date: 09 Apr 2002

"I read a couple of his horseracing books years ago and found them short of plot. He's a poet, I decided poets can't write mysteries, and I haven't read any fiction written by poets since then."

Dear Joy, Poets can't write "mysteries"? In my opinion, you're not only selling Dobyns short, but you're forgetting the likes of Kenneth Fearing, James Sallis, James W. Hall, Charles Willeford and, need I say, Raymond Chandler. Not to mention Richard Hugo and Jack Spicer, both of whom wrote one-off crime novels. And there are undoubtedly others. Personally, I would reverse your rule: always read a mystery/crime/detective novel written by a poet. Woody Haut