Re: RARA-AVIS: horace mccoy

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2002

Miker

"They Shoot Horses..." is the best, but there's some terrific stuff in "No Pockets in a Shroud" and "I should Have Styed Home". McCoy, like Thompson, is a master of creating convincing deranged minds. I recently read his last, "Scalpel." It was marketed on release as a more "serious" novel, and is less hard-boiled - the jacket blurb is positively syrupy to attract a wider audience. But for overall consistency of writing and cohesion I'd say it runs "Horses" a close second in quality. I think it's the only one not in print.

Chris