RARA-AVIS: name that book ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 24 Jan 2002

hello,

i'm reading burke's _black cherry blues_ now, and its starting out down in bayou country, and it got me to thinking about another bayou mystery i had read. unfortunately, i've got a bad habit of throwing away books i've read. bottom line is that i can't remember the name of the book and its driving me nuts.

in the book, there's a series of killings, including an especially gruesome flayed body, and then they find an older body in a 55-gallon drum in the water. in the end, the main character has found the killer in a house with jars of body parts, and he struggles with the killer while fighting the effects of a tranquilizer dart. i believe that the main character had decided that the murders were patterned after illustrations in an old textbook, or something like that. the romance that has been developing during the book dies. i'd say, from what i remember, the book was definitely hardboiled.

what book is this?

thanks, miker