RE: RARA-AVIS: upbeat endings not hard boiled?

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 20 Jan 2002

Maybe not upbeat, but the good guys typically win and the bad guys get what they deserve. Noir on the other hand has a much darker ending. This tends to be the final definitive for me when it comes to the difference between the two.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Sweet Revenge Short Crime Fiction Contest
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/contest/
-----Original Message----- From: Msedano@aol.com Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 8:30 PM
Sam Spade flirts ironically with the murderous vixen, if they stretch your neck or i'll be waiting etc. the bad guys are on the lam with the evidence in the cops' hands and Sam Spade is free, his honor and ethics reaffirmed. That's as upbeat as I can think of, and Maltese Falcon seems by acclamation to be an avatar for hardboiledness.
Maybe I don't know what "upbeat" means. Am I unsyncopated?