RARA-AVIS: Alfredo Vea (Was Survey)

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 20 Jan 2002

In a message dated 1/19/2002 11:43:20 AM Mountain Standard Time, Msedano@aol.com writes:

"Chicano novelist Alfredo Vea, in his Vietnam war novel, _Gods Go Begging_-- which, Manuel Ramos, I wonder if this Vea might qualify as tending toward the noir? fully noir?-- "

IMO, Vea is a great writer, but I can't see that his books are noir. The endings are too upbeat, although the characters go through hell to get there.
 Michael, I know you want a "definitive" list of hard-boiled and noir writers, and a clear definition. If you look at the archives you will see that these are regular topics here. There have been some very good attempts at defining the genre. I'm still learning.

Manuel Ramos