Re: RARA-AVIS: Havana Bay

From: Msedano@aol.com
Date: 10 Jan 2002

Does Martin Cruz Smith have a second Cuba book in him, or did he use up what he saw? I enjoyed the heck out of Havana Bay. His guide led him in a funny direction, jineteras, great metaporical word. The inner tube people use a word, too. Maybe, though, a Cuban writer or two should have the next word? HB took a Russian tourist's view written by a Californian and told the reader,
'this is Cuba today.'

I am enjoying the earliest pages of _Outcast_ and must get back to you on this, see how the oddly named Elliot Steil and his buddy Dan Gastler work things out. I have no idea what to expect, on p.13, so I'm excited. From an earlier post, I note Steil's coming to the US, which is a bit sad, but might be fun to see how the US comes out of your fingers. Getting even with Cruz Smith?