RARA-AVIS: Havana Bay

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2002

>Martin's a good friend and his Havana Bay is remarkable, considering >our
>culture is alien to him. I assisted him during his research here.

I loved the Cuban detective in HB; do you (or anybody) know if MCS might be planning to do another Cuba book, maybe bringing her back?

>It's SANTERIA, a blend of African and Catholic deities.

Interesting. Anybody remember if this was the religion Kevin Spacey/Mel Proffitt became obsessed with on "Wiseguy"? Or it might have been a madeup religion, I just remember that he kept talking about how it was a "syn-CRET
-ic re-LIG-ion"; I had to look the word up and I found out it basically meant blending native and imported deities.

getting offtopic for mysteries but still about Cuba-in-the-news, somebody just asked me how long the US has had a base at Guantanomo. I guessed that it went back to the Spanish American War but I have no real idea -

Carrie