Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS HB bank robberies

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 30 Dec 2001

It's not a major part of the book, but don't they hit a bank in Edward Bunker's No Beast So Fierce (AKA Straight Time)?

Loophole by Robert Pollock -- they dig up from the sewers below on a holiday weekend. There were a string of similar bank robberies throughout Europe as it was translated into each country's language. There was even an article in Time (maybe Newsweek) about these copycat capers, circa late-70s, early '80s. The author claimed the book was so realistic because he bought the plans off a retired criminal who was too old to pull the caper. I've seen a similar plot in a few movies (Sexy Beast, a recent one by Ringo Lam). I think Loophole was even made into a movie, but I never saw it.

I'm not sure which one (and I don't feel like getting up to find the box it's in), but one of Garry Disher's Wyatt novels (very good series about an Australian version of Parker, by the way) uses the taking the bank manager's family hostage trick.

Mark